Alistair W. Chisnall is a Partner and member of the Property & Development Group. He joined the Firm in 2007. Alistair has experience in a broad range of matters including the preparation of financing and loan documents, real property acquisitions and sales, property title and opinion work, and subdivision, resort and hotel development and operation.
Alistair is also experienced in domestic mortgages, conveyancing, regulatory, probate and estate, and real property tax matters.
Alistair has a deep interest in environmental matters, and works with the Bahamas National Trust on a pro bono basis, with a particular focus on the recent expansion of the Bahamas National Park System and Government Relations. In this connection, he has also provided commentary on proposed and new legislation and regulations for NGO’s and the Ministry of Works.
Recent transactions include:
- Representing a major international debt fund as local counsel in a debt-for-equity swap of approximately US$ 170 million, concerning a major Bahamian resort property and related joint venture interests, which included obtaining requisite multi-departmental Bahamian Government approvals for the acquisition, the assumption of casino management licenses, and numerous relevant operating licenses;
- Representing a major Bahamas hotel enterprise as local counsel in the restructuring of a complex commercial real estate-backed structured financing for approximately US$ 2 billion;
- Representing an international title insurance company in respect of co-insurance policies for a 500 acre high-end residential, resort and commercial property;
- Acting for a local real estate development company in respect of the sale of a 900 acre residential resort community.
- Providing advice for developers and purchasers on environmental matters in connection with a marina / shipyard acquisition, boutique resort development and commercial retail development.
- Assisting with the planning, governmental approvals and legal framework for subdivisions, resorts and planned-community development and sales;
- Advising on the acquisition, ownership and sales of residential and commercial property in the Bahamas, and related financing and approvals; and
- Advising credit risk personnel at local lending institutions on the enforceability of mortgage security, demand and sale, and acting on behalf of such lending institutions in power of sale matters.